My first refurb blog

Blog entry by Jimi_C posted 03-01-2010 03:42 AM 4699 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Been busy working on home improvement stuff, and haven’t had a chance to do any wood working (it’s also still been pretty cold here), so I thought I’d share some of the work I’ve been doing.

First up was our bathroom, which needed a new shower fixture. The old one was extremely old, and I couldn’t find replacement parts to fix a valve stem issue, so I decided to upgrade. The first problem I ran into was the fact that the wall was way thicker than I thought, so I had to order a “deep rough” kit to make up the distance. Even with that on, the threads were just barely through the wall enough. Next problem was the fact that I either didn’t use enough teflon tape, or I didn’t tighten the compression fittings enough, because they leaked on both sides… so I had to unsolder everything and then redo it. Still, I think it came out pretty good:

The one handle is on wrong (I put the stops in wrong, so it’s off position is backwards from the other side), so I still need to fix that.

Next up was the kitchen, where we decided to rip out our old beat up laminate countertops and replace it with a new laminate. We were going to have HD install it, but the guy pointed out we could save $300+ if we bought one of the pre-formed, so that’s what we ended up doing. Installing these was a pain, partly because the mitre angle wasn’t perfect (had to put them together, scribe a line, then do some sanding to make it fit), and also because when we were gluing it up and bolting together, one of the wooden shoulders where the bolts sits snapped, making it impossible to tighten fully. I put a few more nails in the back corner to help, but it wasn’t perfect. Still, it was the back corner, and with the coloured caulk filling the 1/32” or so gap you can’t really tell.

Ripping out the old countertop:

First piece cut to length and scribed to the wall:

Sink cut out done, and dry fit of sink:

Other side done, stove cut out done and stove put back.

This side is where we really had some issues. Apparently the idiots who remodelled the house before us decided to attach the tiles to the wall with liquid nails instead of thin set… So when we popped the old piece out it loosened a lot of them, so we decided to rip them off and redo it. I’m currently plastering that section now to give a nice flat base for re-tiling.

From the other direction:

And from the doorway (the stove was pushed back a couple more inches after taking this):

A coat of tung oil and new hardware on the cabinets makes it all come together pretty well, despite the age of the cabinets here. I was going to rip all these out and build new ones, but the wife vetoed it, saying we were just going to sell the house anyway, and she didn’t want me to build cabinets for a house we weren’t keeping.

So, that’s it so far, beyond little things like re-caulking crown molding, touch-up painting, etc. Our basement bathroom needs a new shower door, and some drywall fixes where the leaking old shower door caused some damage, so I may post pictures of that in the future.

Thanks for looking!

View Jimi_C's profile


9 posts in 4586 days

View Blog Archive
Subscribe to blog entries (RSS)

By subscribing to the RSS feed you will be notified when new entries are posted on this blog.

Recent Entries

2 comments so far

View Todd Thomas's profile

Todd Thomas

735 posts in 4900 days

posted 03-01-2010 02:02 PM

look good…..keep it going…

-- Todd- Oak Ridge, TN

View busycraze's profile


1 post in 4452 days

posted 03-12-2010 10:01 AM

This post is very nice and resembles your professional clearly, and your interior is very nice and simple. Great work and thanks for sharing here.

Acer Predator

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: All views and comments posted by members are not necessarily those of HomeRefurbers.com or of those working on the site.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

LumberJocks.com :: woodworking showcase