HomeRefurbers

A New Start #13: Outside, Kitchen & Utility room (30-31/08 & 01/09/2010)

Blog entry by Tikka posted 09-01-2010 03:45 PM 10062 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 12: Outside services, Utility Room and Kitchen (23 - 29/08/2010) Part 13 of A New Start series Part 14: Outside (02-03/09/2010) »

Monday:

Basically I took the day off, trying to recover a little after the really heavy weekends work. I have arranged for the concrete to be delivered on Thursday morning for the utility room floor.

Unfortunately because of the state of the entrance (due to the new pipes being fitted, the concrete truck cannot get get to within 5m (15’) of the house, and the thought of wheel barrowing 4 cubic m (140 cubic ft) did not appeal to me for some reason! So I had to hire a concrete pump, which is not cheap, so I decided also to level entrance outside the front of the utility room also, which brings it up to 6 cubic metes (211 cubic ft), but I will save about 250€ ($320) from next years budget.

Tuesday:

I had to build a dwarf wall around the existing concreted area, not so pretty, but it is functional, it also used up a lot of recycled bricks I had recovered from the demolition of the utility room. It is surprising how long it takes to do such a small amount of work, when you are not a professional. The floor is perfectly level alongs its length and will be exactly the same height as the inside of the utility room. But across its width, there is a 19mm (¾’) drop, to allow water to run away from the house.

Photobucket

Additional area to be concreted

Wednesday:

I fixed the guides to ensure a perfectly level floor outside the utility room.

Spayed the polyurethane between the kitchen doors and the walls (I just have to wait for it cure, before trimming it).

Made the final preparations for the delivery of the concrete tomorrow, which included laying and fixing the plastic sheeting to ensure a waterproof slab.

Lastly I started to remove the plaster board, ready for the damp proofing engineers next week.

Photobucket

Window is now sealed against the wind. Note: I have gained some company (2 bunnies, belonging to my granddaughter.

Photobucket

This foam is really good for excluding the drafts, I still have to seal the outside of the door frame to the the wall with mastic.

Photobucket
The utility room ready fro the concrete

Photobucket

I only needed to remove 30cm (1’) for the damp-proofing, but decided to remove 1 m (39”), to remove any trace of the black mould that had started to grown on the damp plaster board.

Thats it for today, ready for leveling to floors tomorrow.

-- Tony - All things are possible, some things are more difficult than others. -- http://poydatjatuolit.fi



View Tikka's profile

Tikka

47 posts in 4099 days

Entry tags/keywords

View Blog Archive
Subscribe to blog entries (RSS)


By subscribing to the RSS feed you will be notified when new entries are posted on this blog.


0 comments so far

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: All views and comments posted by members are not necessarily those of HomeRefurbers.com or of those working on the site.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

LumberJocks.com :: woodworking showcase