« back to Tools, Hardware & Accessories forum

Topic by woodnewbee posted 01-21-2011 07:36 PM 4356 views 0 times favorited 11 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View woodnewbee's profile


4 posts in 4447 days

01-21-2011 07:36 PM

I am just beginning rehab house work and need to meet new rrp standards from EPA and HUD. Have certification and that stuff now need vac that meets standards. Anyone have experience or info as they seem to go from nothing to everything in specs and pricing. WaynO

View rrdesigns's profile


100 posts in 4873 days

01-22-2011 09:21 PM

I have a Festool CT22 that I use in my shop for woodworking. It works well in a fixed location but does not travel well lacking handles to aid in transport. I’m considering the Dustless Technologies series for my location work. Their design looks pretty good for portability, ease of use and meeting the EPA requirements.Haven’t made any purchases yet.

-- Beth, Oklahoma, Rambling Road Designs

View Devolution's profile


3 posts in 4681 days

02-01-2011 06:54 AM

i just use the Ridgid Professional 14 gallon Vac with a Hepa type filter. Thats all you really need on that end, although disposal is an other story.

View popztoolz's profile


16 posts in 4418 days

02-23-2011 12:13 AM

Here is the EPA link on these new standards.
According to information there it is as follows for anyone needing to know.

Information for Homeowners Working at Home

If you are a homeowner performing renovation, repair, or painting work in your own home, EPA’s RRP rule does not cover your project. However, you have the ultimate responsibility for the safety of your family or children in your care. If you are living in a pre-1978 home and planning to do painting or repairs, please read a copy of EPA’s Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Providers, and Schools (PDF) lead hazard information pamphlet (11 pp, 1.1MB). | en espaƱol (PDF) (11 pp, 2.4MB). You may also want to call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (5323) and ask for more information on how to work safely in a home with lead-based paint.

As a contractor, I have found that using a bag inside your shop vac helps tremendously. I have a “SHOP VAC” brand. This is most helpful in catching small particulate. (Drywall dust is a big culprit). This even stops it from reentering a room. These are use with the original filters (Paper element and foam filter cover).
Hope this helps.
William G. Yasovsky, Michael Yasovsky Construction, Bellefonte, PA

-- William G. Yasovsky, Michael Yasovsky Construction, Bellefonte, PA

View DavisFilton's profile


2 posts in 4396 days

03-13-2011 06:43 PM

I’m also wondering how many people use a mask while renovating. They can seem to get in the way when on your face sometimes. Does anyone have a recommendation for a breathing mask that filters well and feels comfortable at the same time.?

-- My favorite site is http://www.compoundmitersawsreview.com

View rrdesigns's profile


100 posts in 4873 days

03-13-2011 06:51 PM

I use this in my shop. http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2002089/Dust-Bee-Gone-Mask.aspx It is comfortable to wear, washable, and, most important, doesn’t fog up your glasses.

-- Beth, Oklahoma, Rambling Road Designs

View woodnewbee's profile


4 posts in 4447 days

03-13-2011 09:56 PM

RRP requires a N100 mask in whatever form you prefer. In the class I took they said we needed a special vac that meets RRP standards with seals and filters to assure no dust re-enters work area. Also need tyvek coverals and latex or equivalent gloves. Lots of stuff to get and use and records to keep. Not sure it is worth the effort.
Beth I think that is what I am getting they have them at Acme tools and seem to be priced pretty good.

View montycash's profile


5 posts in 4174 days

10-24-2011 01:31 PM

where would i be able to geth the attachments for my circular saw and other portable tools for vac

View woodnewbee's profile


4 posts in 4447 days

10-24-2011 02:23 PM

I would check with where you bought your vac. I have dustless technologies vac and have grinder attachment as well. I am not sure what else they make as far as attachments for tools. Possibly tool manufacturer would have as well. I will be looking to see what you find as I am interested as well.

View samried's profile


1 post in 1299 days

09-04-2019 06:01 AM

I was Looking for the Cordless Vacuums so i found this discussion.I want some suggestions that which will be Best Cordless Vacuums in 2019?

View movieandsongs's profile


13 posts in 1272 days

10-01-2019 11:05 AM

View Tyler Kotar's profile

Tyler Kotar

2 posts in 299 days

05-31-2022 02:52 PM

I am waiting for the Festool 18v / 36v CT vacs to come out and I think i may end up picking one of those up, I love the cordless vacs by festool so I would like to see how they do when cordless

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: All views and comments posted by members are not necessarily those of HomeRefurbers.com or of those working on the site.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

LumberJocks.com :: woodworking showcase