How do I apply crown molding to my sunken living room?

« back to Interior Home Improvement forum

Topic by dusty_miller posted 07-03-2012 04:48 PM 8052 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View dusty_miller's profile


1 post in 3914 days

07-03-2012 04:48 PM

Topic tags/keywords: crown moulding molding joining sunken living room endings finishing height beams holes different styles ceiling question living room decorating

We’re renovating our place which features a sunken living room. Problem is…the ceiling is also lowered, and there’s an opening on wall, and a concrete construction beam (outlined in red ) that runs over it. We want to put crown moldings into the living room that are about 5” tall, but don’t know what is the best way to “end” the molding when it reaches the upper living room, or how to finish over the 3ft wide opening, because the beam is only 3” lower than the lowered ceiling.
Our contractor suggested lowering the height of the whole beam so we can just run the 5” molding over it, but we figured it would look pretty wierd because the hole does not extend to the sunken level, it will have a railing. The wall with the hole is completely flat; no nooks or crannies to hide the ends. A completely separate door-frame is also kind of not possible, because there is no ledge to rest it on,
We’re now thinking of putting some kind of block on either side of the hole and running a completely different 3” molding just over the hole. Will this be hideous?

Please give me some advice!

View MarkTheFiddler's profile


447 posts in 3929 days

07-09-2012 01:11 PM

I’m not an expert here. I’m just a do it your selfer. Can you put in a blind return? I have done it on floor boards where I have a dead end. I wonder. Best of luck.

-- Working on my home for 2 years and counting.

View Sailor's profile


19 posts in 4712 days

07-17-2012 08:59 PM

It’s a little hard to understand exactly what you are describing, but I would suggest some sort of block like you are thinking.

You can go to your local big box store and buy something called a cornice that would work, they are not cheap though. You can also try building a simple one.

Another option that shouldn’t be hard is to have the crown mold terminate itself buy just cutting it as if it were going around and outside corner when it’s really not.

You would have “short cut” on the left side of the long piece (just before the ceiling goes up). Then you would cut another small piece, probably 2”-3”, that is square on the left side and has a “short cut” on the right side. THis would just make a small corner and make the moulding look like it could be going back through the wall.

Just found a photo of it! Check this out.

View MarkTheFiddler's profile


447 posts in 3929 days

07-22-2012 08:31 PM

Sailor, what is the name for that return. I’ve heard it called a blind return but my lingo seems to be off.

-- Working on my home for 2 years and counting.

View Sailor's profile


19 posts in 4712 days

07-23-2012 11:59 PM

I’m not sure, at the time of my post I had no idea what it was called, but I knew what it was.

I would say a blind return sounds good.

View LogisticMart's profile


1 post in 1645 days

09-19-2018 06:24 AM

Hiring right packers and movers in Noida was never so easy before. You can get the list of moving companies at LogisticMart for hiring the professional shifting company. Then, it is easy for everyone to check company’s reviews, charges and reputation before hiring them. So get the suitable help to hire a reputed firm.

Know more:

View listoutdoor's profile


26 posts in 1287 days

09-22-2019 01:58 AM

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: All views and comments posted by members are not necessarily those of HomeRefurbers.com or of those working on the site.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

LumberJocks.com :: woodworking showcase