Anyone know about old ceramic?

« back to Interior Home Improvement forum

Topic by bold1 posted 04-18-2014 06:26 PM 8959 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View bold1's profile


26 posts in 2557 days

04-18-2014 06:26 PM

Hi. Recently I got to tour a old house, in the bathroom the toilet tissue holder was a 6” ceramic shaft sticking out from the wall at a slight upward angle. Does anyone know what these were called? I’m renovating our master bath and would like to use such holders. I’ve tried searching toilet tissue holder, ceramic toilet paper holder, ceramic toilet paper horn, ceramic shaft, antique paper holder, vertical paper holder, and just about any combo that I can think of, but I haven’t seen anything like them. The house was prob. 1900 to 1920 and the bath was all tile. Lowe’s and Home Depot looked at me like I’m crazy when I asked there.

View joecot's profile


40 posts in 2484 days

04-18-2014 10:09 PM

How about “ceramic penis”? Just kidding, but that’s what it sounds like. Never seen one. Can you post a picture?

-- Joe Cottonwood -- 99 Jobs: Blood, Sweat, and Houses

View bold1's profile


26 posts in 2557 days

04-19-2014 12:04 AM

No. I didn’t take any pictures at the time. It’s just a ceramic rod, rounded at the end, with a slight upward angle( prob. around 30 degree angle) just enough to keep a roll from coming off when turning the roll. The base was the size of a 4×4 ceramic tile. I never saw them before. Since my searches didn’t yield anything like it, I thought they may have a special name.

View GaryL's profile


206 posts in 3699 days

04-20-2014 12:03 PM

It was probably one of those products made by one company for a short period and was not continued due to very little demand. That would be a tough item to find. Maybe check with a local pottery club or supplier and see if someone could make one for you.

-- The difference between a pro and an amateur, an amateur points out his mistakes

View bold1's profile


26 posts in 2557 days

04-20-2014 06:44 PM

Thanks Garyl, that’s an option I hadn’t thought of.

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: All views and comments posted by members are not necessarily those of HomeRefurbers.com or of those working on the site.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

LumberJocks.com :: woodworking showcase